question about using enscript filter

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:05:03 +0200

Xavier Vilà wrote:
> Well, that worked out just fine ! Thanks a lot.
> Now...I wonder... What's the point of making the enscript available in the
> printing dialog on all the KDE applications if it can't be used ??

It *can* be used.

I use "kprinter" quite often in "standalone" mode. either with a text file
pre-loaded or with textfiles selected a posteriore via the file selection
button.

Then I send it through a filter chain of either "enscript" --> "pamphlet" or
"a2ps" --> "pamphlet" --> "psresize".

["a2ps" and "psresize" were constructed by me using the marvellous "Command
Editor" shipping with KDEPrint. They probably soon will appear on the KDEPrint
website.]

What *I* am missing is the option to start "kprinter --with-preview-button-enabled"
to check the outcome of my filter chain in a preview before I actually send it to
the printer.

Presently the "Preview" checkbox is only available whe you print from KDE
applications (as from there you are guaranteed to have PostScript arriving at
kprinter, and previewing is only working for PostScript files....)

> anyway, thanks again since now I can get what I was looking for

;-)

Cheers,
Kurt