[Kde-print-devel] Re: Print preview in KDE applications (Konqueror)

"Gérard Talbot" browserbugs at gtalbot.org
Mon Jan 24 02:58:42 CET 2011

> Hello M. Talbot
>
> All persons that you contacted directly with respect to your inquiry on
> how to
> submit a bug report for KDE printing preview are in principle reading the
> kde-
> print-devel mailing list. Addressing that mailing list is enough.

In several pages at
http://printing.kde.org/
the said mailing list given is kdeprint-devel and not kde-print-devel . I
got a
{

<kdeprint-devel at kde.org>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
}
email bounce.

And also got a "Your message to Kde-print-devel awaits moderator approval"
auto-response later.

> On January 22, 2011 12:40:47 Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> 1- Print preview is non-existent in KDE applications, at least under
>> (latest stable release) Konqueror 4.5.5. Under which product and
>> component
>> should I file such bug?
>
> Since the passage to KDE-4, the KDE software compilation doesn't provide
> an
> own printing platform anymore.

This is sad and somewhat difficult to understand.

> KDE applications are using the printing
> facilities offered by Qt. The main reasons are lack of development
> resources
> and a desire to allow portability of KDE applications to multiple OS
> platforms.

Allowing portability across many OS platforms is certainly desirable and
worthy. I wonder if Nokia would be willing to address such print preview
feature. And also other print related features: printing frames, printing
selection, etc.

> Bug reports about printing should thus be directed to the Qt bugreporting
> system:
>
> http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com
>
>> 2- Who is actually taking and tackling bugs with regards to printing at
>> KDE? Is there someone? Just asking here...
>
> Unfortunately the development resources for KDE printing development have
> dwindled to almost nill in the last years.

When you refer to development resources, I assume you refer to human
resources, technical resources and monetary resources.

>> 3- If money is an obstacle, I am willing to donate a $20. canadian
>> (which
>> is now ~= $20. US) in order to get a print preview feature.
>
> Thank you for your stated intention to support KDE monetarily. I don't
> think
> money was an obstacle with KDE printing, but it is not impossible that
> offering an adequate development bounty might spur renewed interest.
> Speaking
> for me personnally, I know that right now no amount of financial support
> (short of a fulltime salary) would allow me to free time for this issue.
>
>> 4- If a KDE developer is willing to tackle CSS 2.1 page media [1] bugs
>> and
>> support for Konqueror, then I would be willing to give more money.
>
> This is better addressed in an appropriate bugreport  or on browser
> developers
> mailing list: kfm-devel at kde.org
>
>> thank you for your time,
> Thank you for your interest in KDE.
>
> --
> Cristian Tibirna
> KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org

Cristian,

Thank you for answering my questions and my email. I appreciate the time
you have given me here. You do not have to respond to this email. I will
manage from here: I will be addressing/pursueing my requests to Nokia and
Qt bugreporting system.

best regards from Montréal, Gérard Talbot
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 64 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/