[Kde-print-devel] KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 11:41:30 CEST 2007

John Layt wrote:

> Custom Margins:
> ===============
> Unique KDE feature to set custom margins for the print job.  This is not the
> document margins you find in KWord, but defining the print area on the page
> that the document will be painted into and scaled to fit.  (??? Not sure, I
> don't think anyone besides Kurt is 100% clear on this :-)

First of all (and initially in KDEPrint's development), this GUI control
was simply the frontend to passing to CUPS the commandline option (for
example):

  -o page-top=11 -o page-bottom=12 -o page-left=13 -o page-right=14

Nothing more. CUPS supports this only for text and image printing (i.e.
when CUPS receives the job as a text or image file, not PostScript or else).
Later, some applications (like KHTML and Kate) took advantage of this, and
read the setting from the kprinter dialog, and in turn adapted the PS
output they generate for printing by honoring the setting.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS