[Kde-print-devel] Future of KPrinter

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Sep 9 01:28:23 CEST 2007

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Saturday 08 Sep 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> So the discussion seems, for me, seems to go in "gain me a bit better
>> support from Qt in order to talk to the applications -- the other
>> side to- wards the print system we don't care much for now (we don't
>> understand it anyway)".
>>
>> If you throw out KDEPrint's current capabilities in favor of Qt
>> Assistant- like printing, KDE4 is toast in server-based computing
>> environments, as compared to KDE3, and not only there....
>
> Fair enough.
>
> I'm going to spend tomorrow looking through the kdeprint internals to
> try and get to grips with the workflow in there.  And maybe the next
> couple of days as well :-P.  I'd still like to inherit QPrinter if we
> can (and I think we can).

Please bear with me if I don't understand these technical details. "You
who do the coding, decide".

I'm merely a bystander (*), who voices his opinion in order to not loose
too much of what he loves already since 6 years (or is it more?) with
KDEPrint...

----------------------
(*) who just happens to know a bit about printing, but only from the
    point of view  of a (frequent) user, maybe a "power user".

> Hopefully John

Which John is helping you? Ah wait... must be John Layt.

> and I (with much prodding of other developers, I suspect)
> can get a stable, kind-of-working interface by next Monday, which gives
> us 2 and a half weeks to sort out the wrinkles.  Or maybe that's
> optimistic.  We'll see.
>
> Alex
>
> PS: since no-one seems to be using #kde-brainstorming, I think I might
> commandeer that channel for the kdeprint work.  Seems appropriate at
> this point.  I'll be hanging around on it when I'm at my computer.

OK, maybe see you there tomorrow.  ;-)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS