[Kde-print-devel] Status of KDEprint in 4.0, and offer of help

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Wed Sep 5 09:53:08 CEST 2007

> Hi Cristian and the KDEprint team,
>
> There has been some recent discussion on the core-devel list
> expressing
> concern about the state of KDEprint in KDE4.0, you can read
> the threads at
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=118859658700001&r=1&w=2 and
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=118873017700002&r=1&w=2.  A couple of
> people, myself
> included, have stuck up our hands as willing to help out on
> the boring bits
> if needed to get things cleaned up in time for 4.0.
>
> Before we step on any toes, however, I thought it best to
> check with you on
> the status of things: how you see the state of KDEprint in
> 4.0, what you
> think needs to happen between now and 4.0, and if our help
> would be useful.
>
> The problems identified in the threads seem to fall into 3 categories:
> 1) General fit and polish of the KDE4 port
> 2) UNIX domain socket support
> 3) Incomplete CUPS support

Although it's been a long time since I touched KDEPrint code,
from an internal point of view, I think these following changes
should be also considered:
1) make KPrinter inherit QPrinter (I didn't do it at the time I
designed KDEPrint, due to QPrinter limitations; I guess these
limitations have disappeared now)
2) use KDEPrint own namespace for internal classes (as already
proposed)
3) use shared pointers to keep track of printers and jobs, to
avoid dangling pointers

Michael.