[Kde-print-devel] upcoming API changes

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 01:51:47 CEST 2007

On Saturday 29 Sep 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
> We also have kdeprint to deal with.  The current implementation
> doesn't work properly (try printing a webpage in Konqueror, and every
> element gets printed as a separate document) and the general
> consensus is that it's infeasible to maintain it over KDE4, or even
> to fix it before 4.0, and so we should use QPrinter instead.  I have
> a KPrintPreview class
> (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=119064667211216&w=2), but
> no customisable print dialog yet.

What's happening with this?  Where I am, it's an hour past the API
deadline.  We have a printing library that half-works, and is unlikely
to get fixed before release.  We have a possible implementation of a
print preview interface, but none of the CMake infrastructure for apps
to use it, no ported users and the freeze deadline has effectively gone
(or will go very shortly).

I don't know what I'm doing with this because no-one has replied to any
of my last three or so emails about this.

Which probably leaves us with telling people to use QPrinter or expect
problems, and have a bunch of code that won't work properly in 4.0, and
may or may not be a huge maintenance burden (given the BC
requirements), depending on how the Qt printing framework progresses
and how easy it is to make kdeprint wrap it.

Or maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

Well, deadline or not, I don't have time to do anything on it this week.
And I don't pretend to be capable of fixing kdeprint, even if I had
nothing else to do.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org