[Kde-print-devel] [GSoC2007 openprinting.org] Update 21 July 2007

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 17:07:29 CEST 2007

On 21 July 2007 17:05, Gavin Beatty wrote:
> -3-
> I think I'll join some openprinting.org mailing lists...

Yes, simplest. Just ask/make sure openprinting lowercases any query and
ignores cases on its side when filtering. Then the answer you get is what you
expect, no matter what casing you send.

> I BELIEVE that if kuiserver is running (as is the case for a full KDE4
> session start which I've not done yet), the download will have the
> standard progress dialog.
> There is a KProgressDialog for the printer XML parsing (and will be
> for the driver XML).

Yes indeed, it appears in the standard KDE4 progress dialog, but it is so
inconspicuous that I didn't see it until 4 hours after my testing. I still
believe using a status bar is a good usability thing.

> > Alternatively/concurently, you could add entries
> > to the tree progressively, as soon as they get parsed, not waiting for
> > all to be parsed.
>
> Already done. A KProgressDialog displays the parsing progress. If the
> parsing is quick enough, it won't appear. Else you'll get a progress
> dialog. The reader does create the tree elements concurrently also.
> The tree might not be painted until later (cue investigation).

I saw it. Problem was even the progress dialog popped up very late (10-15
seconds in the process).

P.S. let's use the kde-print-devel list for development discussions.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org