[Kde-print-devel] Printing, CUPS version

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Jul 5 03:07:02 CEST 2007

On 4 July 2007 14:56, Alex Merry wrote:
> While sorting out licensing issues, I ran across a file with code
> borrowed from CUPS.  This is compat code, and Michael Goffioul
> suggested it could probably be got rid of.
>
> Currently, we require version 1.1.19 of CUPS, and these functions are
> contained in 1.1.20.  The previous stable versions of both Debian and
> Redhat use at least 1.1.22, and the current stable versions of each use
> 1.2.
>
> I suggest that we require CUPS 1.1.20, which will allow us to get rid of
> the last of the version-specific code in the cups subdirectory of
> kdeprint.
>
> The file in question is kdelibs/kdeprint/cups/cupsdconf2/cups-util.c.

Yes, I agree. I even intend to go farther and try to reanalyse all the
dependencies upon CUPS. There are, most important, missing things, and, also
very important, new/better ways for accessing functionality inside CUPS.

All this requires a rather important effort and I agree it has to be split in
smaller tasks. Thanks for identifying one such. I will strive to put up a
list of the things to do in this category.

Thanks

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org