[Kde-print-devel] [GSoC2007 openprinting.org] Update 03 July 2007

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Wed Jul 4 09:45:14 CEST 2007

>  o  I have found some example code in CUPS sources about how
> to find the
>     actual device-id for use in the Openprinting Query (c.f. lpinfo.c)
>     NB: I have not found this functionality in the KDEPrint api.

See KMManager::detectLocalPrinters(), KMWLocal::initialize() or
KMWLocal::updatePrinters(). The printer auto-detection is delegated
to the backend (only CUPS does it); if a (local) printer with
auto-detection information has been selected, the infos are
in the "kde-autodetect" option of the KMPrinter object that is used
during the whole printer creation process.

> In the next week I will be:
>  o  Ironing out the threading bug
>  o  Testing KIO progress dialog*
>  o  Implementing the device-id GET** and using it in the printer query
>  o  Implementing the v. simple driver XML parsing/downloading
>
> And that is my goal of what to have implemented by Sunday.
>
> After that, I will need to:
>  o  Investigate the use of the [2]alien for converting the
> openprinting LSB
>     package into the distros preferred format.
>  o  Work on the UI - should it go in the "Add Printer Wizard" etc.?

You can imagine a button "Get driver from Openprinting..." on the
driver selection page, which would brings your own GUI.

Michael.