[Kde-print-devel] [GSoC2007 openprinting.org] Update 03 July 2007

Gavin Beatty gavinbeatty at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:03:18 CEST 2007

Hello,

An update on my progress since last update... update:
 o  All download issues resolved - KIO is understood and abstracted further
    still in the new code (with good reason I feel)
 o  Code is a lot cleaner though there are still naming/namespace issues which
    are very easy to fix at a later date (the code isn't in kdelibs so it's
    not _too_ much of an issue either way)
 o  Parsing is understood well and completed
 o  The parsing is now done in a separate thread (with a bug where the thread
    never emits finished() or my custom finished signal - should be simple to
    fix after some investigation/help)
 o  I have found some example code in CUPS sources about how to find the
    actual device-id for use in the Openprinting Query (c.f. lpinfo.c)
    NB: I have not found this functionality in the KDEPrint api.

We are currently 5 weeks into the GSoC programme proper. I began work (outside
of setting up an environment) on June 12, technically "missing out" on 2
weeks of work. I realise that it is up to me to make up for this time and not
for me to seek allowance on this. Gladly, I am on schedule even without
taking into account the 2 missing weeks.
Work has progressed slightly more organically on the first 3 chunks I laid out
in my [1]Application Abstract. This came about as I wasn't originally sure of
the model I would like to use (what class does what and when) due to simple
inexperience with the type of development.

In the next week I will be:
 o  Ironing out the threading bug
 o  Testing KIO progress dialog*
 o  Implementing the device-id GET** and using it in the printer query
 o  Implementing the v. simple driver XML parsing/downloading

And that is my goal of what to have implemented by Sunday.

After that, I will need to:
 o  Investigate the use of the [2]alien for converting the openprinting LSB
    package into the distros preferred format.
 o  Work on the UI - should it go in the "Add Printer Wizard" etc.?
 o  Polish the code

Thanks,
Gavin

  [1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bn5cl
  [2] http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/

*I haven't had a running kuiserver up to now whenever I run
kopenprintingdialog and I believe this to be why I have never had a progress
dialog even though I ask for one in the KIO::get call.

**Either in kdelibs/kdeprint (preferable) or as a tiny hack

---
Gavin Beatty

SEMPER UBI SUB UBI
GPG Fingerprint: 354D 9E9C 5C66 EDF4 E7D9 0EC5 6A7A C55D 49DD 695F