[Kde-print-devel] kdeprintfax and phone numbers

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Apr 24 09:03:53 CEST 2006

> Thank you very much for the very careful look that you have
> on kdeprinfax.
>
> As I didn't write that code, I won't be able to comment on
> the reasons that influenced the decisions to sanitization. As
> a maintainer, I'd be more than happy if you would accept to
> take care of this issue. Let's hope that the author of the
> code will find a little time to answer.

The primary idea was to get the fax number out of the KDE addressbook,
hence I was not sure that the obtained fax number would be accepted
as-is by the underlying fax spooler. So I decided to sanitize the number
for safety. It appeared that this was maybe not such a goode idea in
various cases.

For my defense, I should say that I never really tested kdeprintfax
simply because I didn't have a fax to test. So the whole code has been
designed from fax manual pages.

The number sanitization stuff has to be re-thought. The %rawnumber idea
is an easy work-around. Another possibility would be to add a global
option (in the form of a check box) in the config dialog (System tab)
like "Remove non-number characters from fax number before sending".
Maybe
this is more user-friendly than having the user to edit the command-line
and change %number into %rawnumber.

Michael.