[Kde-print-devel] Report of Linux Printing Summit. Part 1: observations

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Apr 16 04:50:16 CEST 2006

Hello

As some of you might know, I was invited and kindly sponsored by OSDL to go to
the Linux Printing Summit in Atlanta on 10 to 12 April.

These were 3 days of very intense information gathering. I consider that this
was a constructive Linux/KDE/FOSS-related reunion from which I learned a lot
and it helped better positioning my understanding of matters related to KDE
printing.

Reports of the happenings at the Summit have already started to appear,
written by people with more talent:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1931
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1934

I will restrain myself (especially because of lack of time) to the following
notes, observations I've put together during the 3 days of the meeting and in
the few hours of reflection thereafter, that I managed to steal from my
heckly loaded schedule. A separate message bound to follow will contain my
conclusions/decisions derived from what follows.

* people still perceive KDEPrint as the most advanced technology in its class
in Open Source (and not only);

* those knowledgeable of KDEPrint status (most surprisingly, printer
manufacturers, but also distributors like Mandriva) are irked by the lack of
perceived movement in the realm of KDEPrint development.

* the status of KDEPrint development is worse than I initially thought, when
seen in the light of the information in the Summit. We are drastically behind
CUPS development. (But we also have action items, like usability reports,
dating of almost a year back (and some open bug reports even older) and I am
also aware of that)

* compared with the perceived stalled status of KDEPrint, even a very young
(and still quite lacking) development process in GTK are triggering a lot of
interest from hardware manufacturers and distributors

* KDEPrint is still very little known. There are features and possibilities
with it that applications, distributions and printer manufs. would be very
interested in, but they aren't advertized enough

* While very complete (at least in respect with what CUPS-1.1 offers),
KDEPrint technology is also quite complex. It could be quite overwhelming for
normal users while not easily enough extendable for power users (like driver
writers and professional application developers)

* KDEPrint in the non-enviable position of depending on fundamental technology
(printing standards, CUPS, drivers) for our correct functioning and feature
fulfilling, but it is also the one piece of software to take the blame when
things don't work. We have to become more directly active and develop
relations with down-the-stream developers (CUPS, drivers etc.) in order to
make our work more useful (I believe this is one of Michael Goffioul's
success with his code)

* there are a lot of usability issues in KDEPrint

* things in which KDEPrint development is concerned start moving faster after
the Summit. There is discussion about:
- a common standard for printing dialogs, so that these become uniformized all
over Linux applications (KDE, GTK, mozilla, OOo etc.)
- a technology for framework agnostic printer driver plugins/extensions for
the printing dialog
- something similar for application extensions

So, if you went reading until down here, please consider reading my next
message, stating conclusions and decisions.

Thanks for your attention

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org