[Kde-print-devel] [ kde-print - handbook ] format and how to submit upgrades

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Mon Aug 29 17:00:31 CEST 2005

On 28 August 2005 06:33, Alfredo Cerutti wrote:
> Hi Cristian,
>
> On Monday I'm going to start reading the handbook  present on my system
> (I'm running Kubuntu with Kde 3.4.2).
> I've never helped before so these are my questions:
>
> - in which format do I have to write the new document that's going to be
> the new one?

Do you want to write a new document? I was thinking more about updating and
cleaning the current one. This would reduce the quantity of work.

Format used for documentation in KDE is docbook.

> - is there any source code available which I must grab before starting?

The documentation sources are in the KDE SVN:

svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/doc/kdeprint

> - how to I submit the corrections? and where? (any software?)

You can generate patches using the `diff` command and send them to me. If you
write a completely new document, send it as a whole to me.

> - I'm Italian and don't write/speak english very well, so what happen if I
> will write something wrong or mispelled? I'll try do to my best using
> dictionary. Is my work checked by another guy who speak native "english"
> and how to join/merge with him/her?

This is where the fact that we had 5 persons offer to help with this could be
of use. You could subscribe to kde-print-devel mailinglist and then ask there
questions about correct notions or language in the document.

> - do I have to take screenshot to replace the old ones?

Preferably. The screenshots in the handbook were done in the time of KDE-2, I
think. In the meantime, KDE changed the default themes and styles and it
would be helpful to have recent screenshots. It's not an urgent matter
though.

> - I'll do only upgrading to the current document without adding or removing
> "sections", am I right? Or is there any "todo/integration list" that must
> be checked out?

For now, I'd really be very pleased with updating and cleaning, so that it
doesn't become too time consuming and overwhelming. But if while doing the
cleanup you come with nice ideas about restructuring etc., please write these
ideas down in a TODO and post it to the mailing list.

> Thanks and sorry for all these questions!!

My pleasure and no problem. Sorry for taking so long. My time is very limited
unfortunately.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org