Two policy propositions for the country list

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Tue May 18 21:27:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:52:05PM +0200, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> The internationalisation of KDE is made by volunteers spread around the world.
> We believe that is the responsability of the German, British, Macedonian,
> Chinese, Taiwanese KDE fellows to decide how they want their country to be
> named in English and in their own tongue, which flag to use, etc.

Examples don't set good policy.

A good policy: ISO C++ is good enough, so the ISO country list is good
enough. That said, if a country is in that list, we should not worry about
flags. The list is the list, and we should not divide it and create
second-rank countries.

> Conflicts aroused by people external to the project will not be answered.
> The KDE project stresses that the Free Software license of KDE makes it
> possible and easy for its distributors or any group or individual to
> modify and distribute a version of KDE with a country list tailored for
> their own commercial or political interests if they want.

This part still rocks. If KDE contributors actually agree upon a better
standard, let's discuss, but until then, send third parties to ISO, vendors
and man:/patch.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap at capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun