RFC: Icon Creation Policy

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Thu Feb 26 18:44:33 CET 2004

Application development involves many tasks other than programming,
including but not limited to translation, documentation, build issues and..
artwork. One of the benefits of including applications in the main KDE
releases is that some of these aspects of development will be taken care of
by specialized teams.

However, few guidelines exist on the policies for icon creation and
maintenance. Here's a small proposal for having a more consistent KDE look
and feel.

Occasionally application developers add new functionality using menu items
or buttons for which no appropriate icons exist. Often but not always the
developer creates the icon himself, while lacking the tools, skills and
expertise to create an icon that truly integrates with the default icon
theme.

This has become more apparent with the introduction of Crystal, which has
far more of an individual look than HiColor ever did.

I do not think it is unreasonable to assign the responsibility of icon
creation and maintenance to the KDE artists team, either by unwritten rule
or in one of the FAQ/policies. To assist the artists and to streamline such
a setup with the documentation efforts, I would like to propose a CVS
keyword "ICON:" for commits that introduce or change icon requirements.

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 2/17 Blink-182, 2/29 Anti-Flag 3/5  Anti-Flag/Heideroosjes
cap at capsi.com | 3/19 The Offspring, 3/24 Good Riddance/None More Black