advert on webcvs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 07:18:43 CET 2004

if this is a bit out-of-sync with the thread, please excuse me. i'm only
catching my personal mail every couple of days right now, which is quite
disorienting for me .. heh...

On February 24, 2004 02:29, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Whoever linked to kde-themes.org with themes.kde.org, what is the thinking
> there?  And what is the kde.org advert policy?  IIRC this decision was made
> by someone and at somepoint discussed on kde-sysadmin only.

here's how i perceive it:

all the core KDE websites that represent the project such as kde.org,
developer.kde.org, etc ... should not have ads on them. there is nothing to
gain from it and it only detracts from our message.

however, for sites such as kde-[look|apps].org which also have a *.kde.org
alias that are privately hosted and are not core informational repositories
for the KDE project i don't see the harm. the fact is that we have
kde-look.org and kde-apps.org today because of sponsorship, which translates
into banners.

our choices are pretty obvoius: have the community sites and accept the
reality that comes with being able to support them (e.g. in some cases
banners), fund them ourselves (would be nice, isn't a current reality), or
not have them. i'd prefer the second option, as i'm sure most would. i don't
think anyone would like the last option. so we are left, at least for now,
with the first option.

and everyone is winning from it. it's not like anybody is making money off of
it, anyways, and even if they were, i probably wouldn't really care.

to whit, kde.com and apps.kde.com have used the KDE name for a long time and
have been a commercial interest for a long time and when/if they come back
will do so with sponsorship. i see kde.com as being far more sensitive an
issue than themes.kde.org which simply points to kde-look.org.

we need to do as much as we can to support community efforts without
compromising our "values" and objectives, and we can achieve that without
blanket statement proclamations that cover every *.kde.* domain in the world,
especially when we aren't personally taking responsibility for of the
maintenence and support of all of them but do reap their benefits.

KDE is about the community and our users, not just a central authority known
as The KDE Project, right?

wow. there i go being long winded again.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();