violation of GPL for solaris binaries

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Mon Nov 3 00:20:04 CET 2003

On Sunday 02 November 2003 20:39, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Forwarding this to Eva, since she seems involved in KDE Solaris and
> posted the announcement of these binaries on
> http://dot.kde.org/1064340634/...

> > > asking him that he make the patches available to me.
> > > He does not deny that that are patches neccessary. However, he claims
> > > that the GPL puts him under no obligation to provide me with the
> > > patches.

Well, he's obviously wrong, section 3 of the GPL clearly states that any
derived work in binary form must be accompanied "with the complete
corresponding machine-readable source code", later clarifying: "For an
executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all
modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the
scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable."

So by distributing these binaries without the complete sources the KDE project
violates the GPL. I suggest to remove the packages from the server until the
patches are made available.

regards,
	matthias

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"