violation of GPL for solaris binaries

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 22:18:21 CET 2003

OK.

Here is the situation with the source code patches, and Mr. Philip
Brown.

I do not have any CVS write permissions at KDE. So, i cannot upload
anything anywhere. About the third week of September i wrote Stephan
Kulow telling him that i wanted to make the source code patches
available publicly, and asking him on how to go about it. To this
day, i have not yet received an answer.

I have sent patches via email to a few kde members. These patches
never made it anywhere. So, at this point, i am very discouraged
about this whole thing, because i do not see what else i can do, and
at the same time i get accused of violating License policies. I think
i have been quite supportive of KDE, i have made my Sun box at home
available to any kde member who wants to test in Solaris. I do not
have a web server, my ISP does not allow me to do that. Nor do i have
the financial means to set up a parallel web site to make these
patche available, and even if i had the money to do that, i do not
think it would be a cool thing to do to begin with. So now please
tell me what am i supposed to do.

Now about Mr Philip Brown and blastwave:

Mr Brown contacted me back in September, after i released 3.1.3. I did
not contact him. He invited me to join blastwave, and make KDE
packages available through his site. There was never any
understanding that blastwave would have exclusive rights in
distributing KDE Solaris binaries, and i made absolutely certain that
that was the case, publicly. Meaning, i consider KDE the primary site
for distributing these binaries.

In order to make all the libraries compliant with blastwave's
directory location (/opt/csw), i had to re-port, re-compile and
re-package about 70 different libraries -- the additional required
libraries for running KDE. This took me the whole month of October,
and it was a lot of work.

Two or three days ago Mr Brown made it very clear to me that all my
work was useless, because i compiled and built these libraires with
different compiler and linker flags than he desires. Also, he  also
informed me that, unless i provide binaries for the SPARC and x86
architectures (KDE is currently built for UltraSPARC), my binaries
will not be accepted at blastwave, making my entire one month's worth
of work pointless and a waste of time. Mr Brown was fully aware
before contacting me that i built KDE for UltraSPARC. That is public
knowledge.

Faced with that situation, i told Mr Brown that i will no longer
distribute anything through his web site, and that i will have to
re-build/re-link everything yet again, under a different directory
tree which does not conflict with anyone else's. When informed of
that, Mr Brown started harrassing me about source code patches for
KDE 3.1.4. There is no Solaris binary release for 3.1.4, because of
the problem i explained above. So i am not sure i even understand
what Mr Brown wants. What i believe he wants is to get a hold of the
source code patches for 3.1.4 before KDE does. I am not at all
convinced that he is entitled to that. There are currently no patches
available for 3.1.4, because i have not built it yet. I am stuck
re-building these 70 extra libraries yet again.

About the binaries: what i mean by "this software is in the public
domain" is: the _binaries_ are, and only the binaries. Meaning, i do
not have any claims for licensing fees for using those binaries. At
the same time, i do not set licensing policies for KDE. I do not
represent KDE, i do not claim to represent KDE, and i cannot speak
for KDE in any way. Even under the most liberal of interpretations,
it could not be inferred that the 'public domain' sentence would ever
apply to anything other than the binaries i make available.

And that's my story.

--Stefan

------

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python