KDE Policies to commercial apps/distributions

Rob Kaper kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:31:32 +0100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:26:10AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> Of course, the published policy pre-dates any open decision making, so it
> might not have much legitimacy.

Actually, the current policy *defines* our open decision making. A single
person had a vision of a great desktop environment, as free software. Anyone
who jumped the bandwagon was aware that KDE is a free software project and
by joining they (you, me, all of us) reconfirmed that decision.

I've seen many requests for change here, but not yet a serious call to
change KDE from free software into something else.

> A new anti-freedom policy could be written if most contributors wanted it,
> but I think most would agree that it would be suicide.

Indeed. I'd like to think most people joined KDE because of our ideals, not
despite of them.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much