KDE Policies to commercial apps/distributions

Vadim Plessky kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:35:14 +0300

I hope this subject is On-Topic for this list.
I have looked through previews of different distributions during last few
months, and have somewhat mixed feelings on *how* do they use KDE.
(Let's put RedHat story away for this moment)

I'd like to discuss "Desktop" Linux distributions.
There are 2 Desktop-only distros that did releases recently, Lindows 3.0 and
Xandros 1.0.  Lycoris is also reaching their first release.
(Mandrake and SuSE is completly different story, as both of them ship latest
KDE, support KDE development, etc.)

Pls read recent review on OSnews:
--------------------
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2228&page=all
Review of Xandros Desktop 1.0
  By Contributing Editor N. Heron - Posted on 2002-11-25 21:35:47

A new version of an existing distribution doesn't generate near the fanfare of
a new distribution from a new company. Or a near new distribution from said
new company. The first release from Xandros Inc., Xandros Desktop 1.0, is the
descendent of the excellent Corel Linux (Corel 2.0?).
--------------------
Details on Xandros Desktop:
http://www.xandros.com/desktop.html

Here are ++ and -- I see with this product:
'++':
--------
 * uses KDE
 * makes Linux easier to install

'--':
--------
 * KDE they have is *old* (1 year old?  I even don't remember KDE 2.2.x
release exactly)
 * screenshots use non-AA text  (and AA is supported in KDE 2.2)
 * they use own icons (it's up to them, of course, which icons to use), but
those icons ar eincredibly ugly, and this already affects KDE itself.
 * Konqueror is replaced with some own file manager (delivered from Corel
Linux 1.0?), functionality of that file manager is questionable to me.
 * Mozilla is used instead of Konqueror (well, it's up to them, BUT:  do we
care about this or not?  I care.).
I just  wonder if it's posisble to execute Konq in Xandros at all, or they
disabled its built?

And Lindows, while is slightly better with icons (which are not so ugly as in
Xandros, and partially from KDE3 release), is still falls far away from "KDE
Standard".

Note:  I am not saying that we should prohibit usage of KDE in commercial
distros, which charge somewhat $99-$129 per set.
But I think we should have guidelines what is allowed , and what is "no-no".
Comparing pluses and minuses above, I have impression that project like this
more hurts KDE, and doesn't help at all.

Or am I the only person pissed off with Xandros, Lindows, etc. (as "it is", I
hope those guys would be able to correct thier mistakes in future releases)?

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons