Voting rights - the GNOME way

Vadim Plessky kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:21:32 +0300

On Saturday 23 November 2002 5:32 pm, Simon Hausmann wrote:
|  On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 04:10:42PM +0300, Vadim Plessky wrote:
[...]
|  > Also:  how much of code (or data) do we want to share with other
|  > projects? Latest discussion about SVG (librsvg vs. KSVG, etc.) and
|  > GStreamer demonstrated that there is significant number of KDE
|  > developers who *do not want* to reuse code from othe rprojects, and
|  > prefer to domost of the work theirself.
|  > To make clear:  that's fine with me.
|  > But what should KDE Policy say about it in general?
|
|  Do you have a suggestion for a concrete policy?
|
|  My opinion is that this can only be expressed in a very very weak
|  policy, probably not giving a real effect.

I think system-level libraries should be under BSD license, or compatible with
such license (MIT/X11?).
(Note: I do not speak about KDE libs here, it seems kdelibs and Qt can/should
be treated as :higher-level libs" here)

As I have seen, for example, on FreeType-devel mailing list, there is a lot of
companies using some open-source libs.
And those companies affraid to use LGPL code, in particular
(check, for example, mail on this from Paul Pedriana, from Maxis)

Therefor, a very important question comes to my mind here:
What about Qt?
As QT is GPL'ed on X11 platform, it restricts usage of other software built on
that library, too (in particular: KDE/kdelibs)
And I believe that some parts of KDE/kdelibs should be reusable by commercial
companies.
Therefor, I have proposal/question:
what about moving some parts of Qt outside of "main Qt tree" (making them
modules?) and re-licensing them under BSD license?

It's nice that Qt3 has XML parsr, but wouldn't it better if it would be
available outside a whole Qt tree, with BSD-like license?
Than there would be no reason to use libxml2 or expat.