Thoughts on when to put/remove applications to/from CVS

Michael Brade kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:26:11 +0100

--Boundary-02=_DYPA+Fqq4mXgwQN

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 21:46, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday December 18, 2002 05:25, Michael Brade wrote:
> > Additions:
> > 8: (a) it should not duplicate another app already in CVS or
> >    (b) the other app should be removed from CVS or moved to
> > kdeextragear-X.
>
> I'd suggest
>
> 8: An app new to the release should not duplicate most of the functionali=
ty
> of another application in the release, unless the new application has
> significant differences in scope, target audience, or
Indeed, much better wording :-)

> > 9: the app should be targeted at many people (a negative
> > example: kpovmodeler)
>
> How useful is KDE as a desktop supposed to be, then?  If KDE is to shun
> every niche, then KDE won't be useful to anyone who needs a niche.
>
> What are packages like kdegraphics, kdegames, kdeadmin for, if not a place
> to house apps targeted at one niche?
Hmm, true, at least partly. IMHO almost everybody doing networking, graphic=
s=20
etc and installing the corresponding kdeblah package needs nearly all of th=
e=20
contained apps. However, who is going to use an app like kpovmodeler? Well,=
=20
don't get me wrong, I definitely don't need kfax either but the point is:=20
think about the number of crying people when removing an app divided by the=
=20
size of the app :)

PS: I don't like me bitching on kpovmodeler, and I hope I don't offend anyo=
ne,=20
it's just the best example for this topic.

=2D-=20
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'
  =C2=B0--web: http://www.kde.org/people/michaelb.html

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience