Search mails using regular expressions

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu May 4 21:55:17 BST 2023

On Thursday, 4 May 2023 17:23:24 CEST Colin Close wrote:
> Are regular expressions currently available in Kmail? The ui interface both
> in filters and in the search dialog indicate that they are.

In KMail I clicked Tools -> Find Messages (S) and the Find Messages dialog has
filter criteria. I could pick e.g. "Subject matches regular expr." as a match
criterium. So it looks like they are.

That said, entering "fina[ln]" does not seem to match that as a regular
expression at all, although it did find messages with "[LN]" in the subject.
After trying a couple of other searches, KMail crashed on me.

> I have done my
> best to determine this from the code by grepping for calls to QRegExp but
> this proved fruitless.

There's also QRegularExpression, so you may need to grep harder. And don't
forget that KMail uses multiple KDE-PIM libraries, so you may need to search
beyond the KMail repository only.

> Can you advise whether the functionality is
> available and just broken or in fact that it is not supported.

To me -- based on the one experiment described above, I've never used regexp
searching in subject before  -- it looks broken.

[ade] (just a user of KMail)