KMail & Kleopatra & S/MIME

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Fri Mar 31 20:34:51 BST 2023

Hey,

> I get that. On the other hand there are for example mails from DHL which are
> S/MIME signed and which are shown with an unknown trust status. Do we
> really expect people to call DHL‘s customer support to verify certificate
> fingerprints and then maybe audit the CA by themself?

Unfortunately you need to discuss this on gnupg side.

> Wouldn’t it be possible to add a simple option in Kleopatra so that I can
> choose to trust my distribution‘s CA store?

It is all Open Source software so if you provide a solution / script etc. that
fixes this issue we will find a way to support it. The issue is known till
several years now at least in Debian it is tracked (btw also others users
using mutt+gnupg are hit by this):

At least on a distribution level there are also other people trying to solve
this.

Me personally was also hit by this issue several times and I would be more
than happy if there would be a good solution ;)

Regards,

hefee