March/April KDE PIM summary blog post

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Wed Apr 26 18:04:15 BST 2023

On Tuesday, 25 April 2023 17:38:11 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> it's time for the bi-monthly blog post again :)
>
> If you have contributed in March or April, a summary of your most noteworthy
> changes would be helpful, bonus points for corresponding screenshots or
> links to already existing blog posts. If you noticed something noteworthy
> during the past two months, feel free to add that as well of course!

## Kalendar

The contact editor was completely redesigned and allows setting a lot more
contact information than previously available.

It is not possible to set custom reminder time.

We fixed various small bugs in the UI and a major bug in the
IncidenceOccurenceModel which caused a crash and affected many users.

We now have more unit tests in many places, thanks to Anant Verma and Joshua
Goins.

During the KDE PIM sprint, we managed to significantly reduce the number of
libraries we link against which should improve slightly the startup time and
reduce the number of dependencies.

Screenshots:
- https://plasma-mobile.org/2023/03/29/this-month-plasma-mobile/kalendar-custom-reminder.png
- https://kde.org/announcements/gear/23.04.0/kalendar.png

## KOrganizer

The search field to filter the collections in the left sidebar now works again.

## Shared calendar infrastructure

Invitations are now displayed correctly when toggling the search collections
in the left sidebar of both Kalendar and Korganizer. Akonadi-Search now has
some unit tests for the calendar indexer and the code base was a bit
modernized.

The initial calendar setup which setup the default calendar and the search
collections for invitations was moved from Korganizer to Akonadi Calendar
which allows both Kalendar and Korganizer to make use of it.

## Akonadi

We fixed 3 important high profile bugs these last two months:

- The mysql backend runs mysql_upgrade which should ensure the database
internal structure is up to date and fix various issues were the logs were
quickly filled out by warnings. (BUG: 456983 and a few similar bug reports)

- Akonadi won't crash ocasionally anymore on server shutdown (BUG 462692 and a
few similar bug reports)

- Jiří Paleček fixed a bug caused by an invalid range iteration which caused
various bug (BUG: 468343 and a few similar bug reports)

Dan Vratil also worked on making the Sqlite backend more reliable.