Making calendar decorations reusable between calendar implementations (was: Re: September/October KDE PIM summary blog post)

Fusion Future qydwhotmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 09:23:53 GMT 2022

Hi,

I have implemented the alternate calendar feature by extending the
calendar events plugin system. Please see the feature MR in
kdeplasma-addons [1] and two other related framework MRs [2,3].

Also I have a question about whether it's possible to depend on external
libraries in Plasma. Because currently QCalendar only supports a limited
set of calendar systems [4], so it's inevitable to depend on the ICU
library (or maintain a library in the plugin) to support more calendar
systems, like Chinese Lunar Calendar system and Indian National Calendar
system.

I also see there is a task to port away from Plasma Calendar [5]. In Qt
6.3 QML has added Calendar type [6] and CalendarModel [7], but the
feature is still limited.

==============================

In general, the sub-label feature can also be useful in many other
aspects, like showing holidays or emoji marks under the day numbers.

I would recommend adding the sub-label feature in the calendar events
plugin [8], so there could be more possibilities to make the calendar
applet more useful. The changes are relatively small and please provide
some opinions on them. Thanks in advance!

[1] https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/112
[2] https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kdeclarative/-/merge_requests/112
[3] https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/450
[4] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qcalendar.html#System-enum