Support WKS publishing from within Kleopatra

Felix Tiede lists at pc-tiede.de
Mon Apr 4 16:42:15 BST 2022

Hi.

Kmail's account wizard already supports it, yet it is unavailable for existing
keys and accounts: Publish a PGP key on the mail provider's WKD using the WKS
process.

Some time ago I fiddled with it, basically copying src/commands/
exportopenpgpcertstoserver.*, modifying it to create a publish request with a
command line call to gpg-wks-client, then reading that request from a
temporary file, building an email from it and attempting to send it using the
Akonadi transport associated with the sender mail address.
That patch was against Kleopatra-18.x.

Back then it was only supported to publish at the key's first user id's
provider and address, it has meanwhile been amended to support publishing for
each key's user id.

The other day I finally got round to reproduce the same with Kleopatra-21.12,
which in turn required a patch for Libkleo-21.12, since I need Libkleo to
provide me with the path to the gpg-wks-client binary.

And now for the point of writing it all:
I want to write a MR for Kleopatra to get the feature into the main
distribution of Kleopatra.
So, as a first step I created a MR for Libkleo to provide Kleopatra with the
path to the gpg-wks-client binary - and in the course of this MR I've learned
about QGpgME namespace which provides a direct interface to GnuPG's WKS
client.

However, since I'm not really that proficient in rewriting my old patch to
work with QGpgME::WKSPublishJob, I am afraid I'd need assistance with that.

So, would a MR with "the old way" of doing it - calling an external binary,
creating, writing, reading, parsing a temporary file - be accepted into
Kleopatra or do I need to fully rewrite it for QGpgME::WKSPublishJob before
creating the MR?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Felix