Making calendar decorations reusable between calendar implementations (was: Re: September/October KDE PIM summary blog post)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Nov 1 15:46:40 GMT 2021

Hi (also to Wang Gary :) ),

Am Montag, 25. Oktober 2021, 00:48:55 CET schrieb Carl Schwan:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 11:18:03 PM CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
wrote:
> > Restoring and enhancing the calendar decoration feature might turn into a
> > long term project. An developing idea for the future would be to make
> > these
> > decoration plugins generic enough to also be usable from other calendaring
> > solutions, like Plasma calendar widgets or apps like Kalendar. There
> > surely
> > are lots of use-cases for all kind of context information or actions users
> > might want to have shown or available on their digital calendar to match
> > their respective interests & needs. Reusable plugins would help here, e.g.
> > with consistency across the products and with no need for reimplementation
> > for each individual product.
>
> Calendar decoration is indeed a very nice idea. A while ago following
> my rewrite of the Plasma Calendar applet a Chinese user (Gary Wang)
> contacted me with an interesting feature request. He wanted to add the
> lunar Chinese calendar side by side with the gregorian calendar since as
> far I understood they use both in China. He already add a fork of the
> Plasma Calendar applet with this feature but it is hardcoded [1].
>
> From some research on Internet it seems that China isn't the only country
> with a western and a traditional calendar used side by side, so implementing
> this feature generically would be nice. I added him as CC.
>
> I can try next weekend to try to look in that would be needed to have the
> decoration feature available in the Plasma Calendar applet and Kalendar.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, got kept busy by other things, and have to
try hard this week to even get the current MRs as described before for the
Sep/Oct blog post dressed up in time for 21.12.

That use-case of showing non-western calendars mapped into the gregorian
calendar view was not yet explicit part of my list , thanks for sharing the
links. The write-up document linked there also definitely extended my views.

Right now I have my related thoughts only as local brain dumps in some files,
will see to turn them into sorted English text in the near future, e.g. as
task on Phabricator to start the collaboration. But might be only in December
from my side to poke this some more with proper depth.

Cheers
Friedrich