Adding non-date-aligned computable mass events to calendars (le.g. astronomical events)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jul 28 22:24:20 BST 2021

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2021, 20:28:28 CEST schrieb Volker Krause:
> I think neither iCal (and thus KCalendarCore) nor Akonadi are particularly
> well suited for these kinds of events. You'd end up creating actual event
> objects where the recurrence model can't express the algorithm, which is
> neither efficient nor really working well (as the time range often is
> infinite).
>
> For many of those the computation is quite fast, so a complex multi-process
> caching system is also overkill.
>
> My gut feeling would therefore be to put the computation logic into
> libraries where needed (KF5::Holidays is such an example), and do the UI
> part in the applications separately, as you say this needs custom UI anyway
> in many cases.

Hm, too bad. As one thing I was hoping to get with Akonadi would be to have a
normalized calendar data model as well as data sources model.

Sounds like then there is need to add yet another abstraction layer where
heavy event objects from KCalendarCore would need to be blended with fly-
weight event shim objects from other data models then, and the same for
adding/removing/enabling/disabling those data feeds. Because I would guess the
average user would not want to care whether adding moon phase entries means
not using Akonadi but another system At least I would fancy a normalized UI
hiding such implementation details unless without alternative :)

But without having looked closer such additional abstraction layers might mean
lots of redesign, for a set of features only interesting for a minority of
current users, and without lots of developer resources currently. Sigh, again
no low hanging fruits then.

I guess my git repo commit events Akonadi resources I just started for
experiments  will suffer from heavy weight objects as well then, at least for
bigger repos with many commits? Let's see what walls I hit there...

Cheers
Friedrich