M155: KMail revamped

Carl Schwan noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jul 23 08:50:51 BST 2021

ognarb added a comment.

I tried to look how hard it would be to implement the HTML/plain text switcher like in the mockup and the biggest issue is that there is a good reason why it's not already in the HTML view but outside of it. It would theoretically be possible for an HTML mail to put some content on top of the mail metadata and hide/falsify some information. The message is then used as a warning to the user that this might happens. This is an issue in KMail because the meta-information is contained in the web view.

Thinking a bit more about the issue, I'm honestly not sure how much the current bar really helps. If a carefully crafted mail could falsify some information from the header, I'm not sure how big the message helps since it's displayed on most emails and the user will learn to intuitively ignore it. One thing we could already do is hide this bar for plain text emails, that would already help a bit but it's still would be most certainly ignored in most cases by the users. This also goes hand to hand with the fact that telling a user that an email is HTML won't explain why it can in a very few cases be dangerous. A tooltip with some explanation might be helpful, but I'm not sure it's a real solution.

Ideally we wouldn't need to put the metainfo in the webview but outside but that was probably also done for good reasons (e.g embedding mails inside mails) :( Not sure what is the best way to move forward with that

MOCK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/M155