List of Authors in aboutdata.cpp

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Aug 23 16:46:29 BST 2021

On Sonntag, 22. August 2021 00:07:57 CEST David Bryant wrote:
> Anyway, I'm hoping to stir up a little discussion here.  It seems to me we
> could very easily agree on some objective criterion for choosing the top 25
> to 35 authors, and restrict the list to just those few dozen who have made
> more than say 25 or 30 commits. That way we could recognize the newcomers
> as well as the old-timers. It might encourage more participation in the
> project.

A more radical approach would be to not list individuals at all and use a
generic term ("KDE community", "KMail team", etc). Solves this once and for
all and avoids any form of potentially difficult line-drawing.

Whether that's a good idea of course depends a lot on how people value being
publicly mentioned in this form. I could image that this is actually less
relevant for people that already have a large "contribution footprint" anyway,
while it might be a big thing for a new people just beginning with FOSS
contributions. If that's the case, any attempt to shorten the list is probably
going in the wrong direction.

Regards,
Volker