[SEEMS SOLVED Re: Help needed to fix FilterActionEncryptTest::shouldEncrypt(PGP*) unit tests

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Aug 19 18:23:34 BST 2021

On Donnerstag, 19. August 2021 16:47:44 CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hm, with little experienced with PGP (even if my first key signing party was
> almost 2 decades (sic) ago) I wonder though what use-case that is optimized
> for. Are people by default not interested in usable keys only? And even the
> expired ones might be interesting, if you have some old encrypted/signed
> data for which the expired key was used, no?

As far as I know, gpg --list-keys lists all available keys regardless of the
validity. It does leave out expired subkeys and revoked (and maybe also
expired) user ids. If you want to see those, then add --verbose.

Including revoked/expired keys in the listing is important, so that people who
want to use such a key (resp. a key for a certain email address) see that it's
revoked/expired when they list this key (resp. all keys for an email address).

Having another look at the normal listing of invalid keys

pub   rsa2048 2017-08-01 [SCEA]
      818AE8DA30F81B0CEA4403BA358732559B8659B2
uid           [ultimate] KMail Test <kmail at test.kde>
sub   rsa2048 2017-08-01 []

I agree that the presentation of invalid keys could be improved. The invalid
key almost looks like a usable key. The only hint that something is wrong is
the missing usage flags for the subkey and the SCEA usage flags for the
primary key.

It should probably look like this
pub   rsa2048 2017-08-01 [SCEA] [invalid]
similar to the listing of expired keys.

Regards,
Ingo