Status update: The new EteSync integration with Akonadi (GSoC '20)

Shashwat Jolly shashwat.jolly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:08:59 BST 2020

Hey everyone!

Over the past few months, I have been working on building an Akonadi
resource for integrating EteSync services into PIM applications. Now
that GSoC '20 is over, I thought it would be a good idea to send a
"Status update" email. :)

# Current status
The resource is mostly ready (w.r.t feature implementations), and it
has been beta-tested by some testers too. The feedback and bug reports
received from the testers has been helpful in making the resource
robust and stable for users.

Here is the open merge request for the resource:
https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-runtime/-/merge_requests/1

# What's left:
There are still a couple of things left to fix (minor bugs and code
changes), after which I hope it will be worthy of merging to master.
:)

# Progress report
There is a proper progress report on the KDE Community Wiki. If you're
interested, here's the link for it:
https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2020/StatusReports/ShashwatJolly

# My experience during GSoC
I had an amazing experience working on this project. I would say the
most important and exciting part was making my code production-ready
Handling errors, considering corner cases, and ensuring robustness of
the project were new experiences. I learnt a lot about how software
should be written.
Making code design choices was the most challenging part for me.
Ensuring minimum code redundancy, proper class hierarchy, and using
the latest language features were great learning opportunities. I got
a lot of feedback from my mentors, which helped a lot.

I thank my mentors, Tom (TAsn) and Daniel (dvratil) for the continuous
guidance. The experience has been awesome, and it wouldn't have been
possible without your mentorship. :D

That's it! I hope to make this resource available for users as soon as
possible! :)

Thanks,
Shashwat Jolly
IRC: sjolly on Freenode