Privacy Policy

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Sun Oct 18 10:03:05 BST 2020

Hey,

> Not understanding your privacy policy for Kontact and its applications.
> They entire policy I see revolves around Google. Lets leave Google out
> of the equation; What user data do you collect?

The entire policy was created, because Google said, we need one to get into
their App store, that's why the part about google is very prominent in this
Privacy Policy. (Personally I would not recommend to use Google services, if
you care about Privacy). But you made a point, that we should also better
describe the setup without Google and other services.

In a nutshell the Policy:  We only sync data, the user requested for and this
data is stored on the computer.

"No user's personal information stored on the computer is ever shared with the
developer or with any third party services unless the user manually does so,
for example by copying or moving personal information (e.g. email) to a folder
that is synchronized with the remote third party service. "

"Some user's personal information (emails, contacts, events, etc.) obtained
from third party services are cached locally by a background service called
Akonadi, which is part of Kontact. It is possible for other Akonadi-enabled
software that the user installs locally on their computer to access, modify or
delete any personal information stored there. They may also be indexed for
full-text search by Akonadi Indexing Agent. "

The lower paragraphs are also valid for any other sync service like Nextcloud,
for Contacts (just do string and replace). Here and e.g.

Kontact and KAddressbook request full access to all contacts from the user's
Nextcloud account in order to display them in user's address book in the
software and to allow the user to create, modify and delete contacts from the
comfort of the aforementioned applications without having to go to the
Nextcloud web interface. All contacts with all information are locally cached
on the user's computer using the Akonadi service described above. When the
user creates a new contact or modifies or deletes an existing contact
synchronized from Nextclouds, the change will be propagated to Nextcloud
immediately when the computer has internet connectivity. The software will
never create, modify or delete content from the Nextcloud without previous
user interaction, it may, however, download content from the Nextcloud in the
background without user interaction if automatic synchronization is enabled.

Contacts synchronized from other services or local address books are never
exposed to user's Nextcloud account or shared with Nextcloud unless the user
explicitly moves or copies them into Nextcloud.

hefee