Phishing attempt (was: Re: **Do Not Ignore!!!***)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Oct 7 08:41:24 BST 2020

Ianseeks - 07.10.20, 08:35:56 CEST:
> On Tuesday, 6 October 2020 22:39:32 BST no-reply at kde.org wrote:
> > PASSWORD EXPIRED
> >

> > Dear  Kde-pim
> >
> > The password of your email account Kde-pim at kde.org   will expire on
> > 08/10/2020
[…]
> > ©2020 Microsoft
>
> is this for real?  Anyone else get this email? i'm not touching it.
>
> looks high risk when pointing to Outlook and using a html email.

No, it is not!

I already reported this to KDE sysadmin team.

Please don't click any link, do not enter any details.

Please also never publicly reply to anything you recognize as spam or
phishing attempt. If you are unsure as you were, trim as much of the
original mail as possibly, especially any links in there and change the
subject line. Never ever replicate anything publicly that could be spam.
You are just helping the spammers this way and confuse spam filters.

Really think on this: What would be the point of an password expiry mail
for the mail account kde-pim at kde.org? kde-pim at kde.org is a mailing list
address. It very likely does not even have a password. And also why
would it be from Microsoft? KDE for sure does not use Office 365 or
anything like this.

If you think on this and also look at the headers it is completely clear
that this is bogus. Just look for the first few Received:-headers:

 id AB12354FAC; Tue,  6 Oct 2020 21:39:32 +0000 (UTC)

This is clearly not coming from Microsoft or KDE.

Just press the 'V' key in KMail to see the mail source with headers.

Please only reply publicly to my mail if need be. There is no need to
turn this into a large thread with lots of replies.

Best,
--
Martin