Spring cleanup: kdepim-apps-libs

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue May 12 14:39:12 BST 2020

Hi all,

On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 16:17:12 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I looked in to kdepim-apps-libs and it seems to be yet another
> dumping-ground repository with random mix of libraries.
>
> I took a more closer look and I think it should be mostly simple to get rid
> of the repo (thus having only 55 repositories instead of 56, yay!), except
> for one case which I'm not sure what to do about, so I'm asking
>
> Any feedback is appreciated, especially from Laurent, who maintains most of
> the code there.
>
> There are 5 libraries in kdepim-apps-libs repo:
>
> *kaddresbookgrantlee*
>  - contains a Grantlee formatter for KContacts
>  - however it is useless without KAddressbook, which has the actual Grantlee
> templates
> - used by KAddressbook, kdepim-addons plugins and messageviewer

Not started yet

> *kaddressbookimportexport*
> - contact import/export library, including UI and a plugin system for
>    importers and exporters
> - used by KAddressbook and export plugins, all of which are in kdepim-addons
>
> => I propose to fold this one back into KAddressbook - I see no benefit in
> having importers as external plugins. We can make them compile-time
> optional. I doubt anyone goes and selectively disables a particular
> exporter plugin in settings...

I imported all import/export plugins from kdepim-addons and the supporting
library code from kdepim-apps-libs. Since this is a fairly huge change with
mostly added new code, I see no point in uploading this to Phabricator.

Still, I'd appreciate someone going over the CMake changes etc.

https://cgit.kde.org/kaddressbook.git/commit/?h=move-importexport-plugins-to-kab&id=3a0b2887ed9cadb44380373ce7c7f3b6f0895ff0

If there are no objections or concerns, I'll merge the branch in a few days.

Right now the TRANSLATION_DOMAIN defines are a bit of a mess, I'll coordinate
with i18n team to merge kaddressbook_importexport and kaddressbook_plugins
domains into kaddressbook.pot, then this can all be dropped.

> *libfollowupreminder*
> - glue between Akonadi Agent in kmail repo and UI for this feature in
> messagelib/composer
> - it seems to work by both UI and the agent reading/writing the same config
> file
>
> => I propose make the config managed exclusively by the Akonadi Agent and
> the UI should talk to the agent via DBus to do the necessary operations.
> This way the library can die...

Waiting for review

> *libkdepimdbusinterfaces*
> - wrapper for dbus calls to start, stop, show and hide KOrgac
>    - used by KOrganizer and Kontact to start KOrgac
>    => KOrgac is now auto-started on session start via /etc/xdg/autostart, no
> need for this code in Kontact, move the rest to KOrganizer
> - handler for kmail:, mailto:, uid:, urn:x-ical and akonadi: URI schemas
>    => use the XDG method to register handlers for those schemas [0]
>
> => kill it

Dead

> *libsendlater*
> => same as libfollowupreminder

Some refactoring in progress :)

/Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683