Spring cleanup: kdepim-apps-libs

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed May 6 15:17:12 BST 2020

Hi all,

I looked in to kdepim-apps-libs and it seems to be yet another dumping-ground
repository with random mix of libraries.

I took a more closer look and I think it should be mostly simple to get rid of
the repo (thus having only 55 repositories instead of 56, yay!), except for
one case which I'm not sure what to do about, so I'm asking

Any feedback is appreciated, especially from Laurent, who maintains most of
the code there.

There are 5 libraries in kdepim-apps-libs repo:

*kaddresbookgrantlee*
 - contains a Grantlee formatter for KContacts
 - however it is useless without KAddressbook, which has the actual Grantlee
   templates
- used by KAddressbook, kdepim-addons plugins and messageviewer

=> I'm not sure what to do about this one. One idea is to follow the example
of calendarsupport and create a new contactssupport library with complete code
and templates to render contacts, so one can embed contact views anywhere they
want to, but I'm not sure if replacing one library by another one is the right
way to go....any ideas?

*kaddressbookimportexport*
- contact import/export library, including UI and a plugin system for
   importers and exporters
- used by KAddressbook and export plugins, all of which are in kdepim-addons

=> I propose to fold this one back into KAddressbook - I see no benefit in
having importers as external plugins. We can make them compile-time optional.
I doubt anyone goes and selectively disables a particular exporter plugin in
settings...

*libfollowupreminder*
- glue between Akonadi Agent in kmail repo and UI for this feature in
messagelib/composer
- it seems to work by both UI and the agent reading/writing the same config file

=> I propose make the config managed exclusively by the Akonadi Agent and the
UI should talk to the agent via DBus to do the necessary operations. This way
the library can die...

*libkdepimdbusinterfaces*
- wrapper for dbus calls to start, stop, show and hide KOrgac
   - used by KOrganizer and Kontact to start KOrgac
   => KOrgac is now auto-started on session start via /etc/xdg/autostart, no
      need for this code in Kontact, move the rest to KOrganizer
- handler for kmail:, mailto:, uid:, urn:x-ical and akonadi: URI schemas
   => use the XDG method to register handlers for those schemas [0]

=> kill it

*libsendlater*
=> same as libfollowupreminder

/Dan

[0] https://superuser.com/a/309343

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683