Trouble building kde-pim using kdesrc-build

Shashwat Jolly shashwat.jolly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:37:18 GMT 2020

Hey!

dvratil, thanks a lot. :D Finally got PIM up and running. :)

The issue did turn out to be the environment variables. Actually the script
suggested to be sourced in the wiki (
https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development ) has certain paths as
*/lib64/*. All the directories on my PC were actually at
*/ib/x86_64-linux-gnu/*. So it wasn't finding the installed packages.
Maybe we can add this as an example of how the paths need to be adjusted in
the wiki? Might help other beginners like myself.

Also, I did face difficulties in getting all the dependencies for all the
modules. Maybe consider adding this link I stumbled upon later to the KDE
PIM wiki too? :
https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Install_the_dependencies

A step-by-step guide would help a lot IMO:

1. Install all non-KDE dependencies from the above list
2. Remove qt includes from the kdesrc-buildrc file (as it already got
installed in the first step)
3. Add the includes already mentioned in the wiki to kdesrc-buildrc
4. Run kdesrc-build and figure out more non-KDE packages to be installed by
checking the error logs (Some packages like xsdcxx and libkolabxml-dev
aren't mentioned in the above list)
5. Once build is passing, modify the script paths to reflect your system
6. Install runtime dependencies (mariadb-server/postgresql)
6. Source script and run :)

Might be very basic, but caused a bit of trouble to a newbie like me :P

Again, thanks a lot! :)

--
-Shashwat Jolly