Questions regarding Akonadi resource development

Shashwat Jolly shashwat.jolly at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:06:43 BST 2020

Hey everyone!

I have been working on a new resource for Akonadi that would enable
syncing EteSync contacts, calendar and tasks to Kontact. I'm happy to
report that Kontact now implements a two-way client for EteSync. It
supports fetching data as well as creating, modifying and deleting
contacts, events and tasks. We can also create new EteSync address
books, calendars and task lists right from within Kontact. I had some
questions regarding the same:

1. As I understand it, we can make a new collection (address book,
calendar or task list) by selecting the "Add folder" option in
KOrganizer and KAddressBook. However, KOrganizer creates a virtual
collection when I do this, which does not allow me to add items to it.
There seems to be a similar problem with other resources as well (I
tried out the Google resource). Is there any workaround for this?

2. How do I select between creating a new calendar and creating a new
task list from within KOrganizer? By default, a new calendar is
created. Or is there another way to create the different collections?

3. Currently, I have the resource configuration dialog implemented
within a subclass of Akonadi::AgentConfigurationBase. It is a single
dialog that takes as input the username, password, server url and
encryption password. I have to implement a two-step process, where the
user enters the server url, username, password and then, on successful
login, the encryption password should be entered. This is needed to
initialise new accounts which do not have encryption passwords set up.
Is this multi-step configuration possible using
AgentConfigurationBase, or should it be done another way?

Thanks
--
Shashwat Jolly
IRC: sjolly on Freenode