Kmail: Gmail (less secure apps) advice for GNU emacs developers.

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Aug 10 17:02:34 BST 2020

On Montag, 10. August 2020 09:12:12 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Dear Uwe.
>
> Uwe Brauer - 10.08.20, 09:02:15 CEST:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am writing on behalf of the GNU emacs developers, Richard Stallman
> > in particular, asking for advice.
> >
> > The issue concerns an announcement by the gmail developers to drop the
> > option to connect to their IMAP service via name and password, known
> > as less-secure-apps. The main email reader of GNU Emacs, called gnus
> > relies on this method. Someone on the GNU emacs developer list
> > suggested that kmail solved the problem and is able to connect to the
> > GMAIL imap server using their OAuth2 method.
> >
> > So the question is addressed to the kmail developers, but I could not
> > find an active mailing list just for kmail, so if this list is not the
> > right place to ask the question, I would appreciate a link to the
> > relevant one.

I would recommend  anyone concerned with privacy rights to not use Gmail.
OAuth2 is just a way for Google to force people to use Google Chrome for
logging into google services. Google currently block all privacy secured forks
of Chromium from using their login services (supposedly because some spammers
used CEF to log onto GMail). You can make it work at the moment by pretending
to be Firefox (or by using Firefox), but I am guessing it is just a matter of
time before Google also block Firefox for "security" reasons.

'Allan