New Framework Review: KDAV

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 4 16:41:09 BST 2020

On Samstag, 4. April 2020 16:20:21 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:
> I'm likely late to the party, but here is what I found by looking at KDAV
> master today (first day of the KDE PIM sprint):

>  * We might want to do something about "ctag" in DavCollection it's a bit
> obscure as a name (and the API doc doesn't help), also it seems to not be an
> official standard (while being widely supported) and there's the sync-token
> mechanism which has a RFC (RFC6578);

CTag appears to be an Apple-specific CalDAV extension (see
https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver/blob/master/doc/Extensions/caldav-ctag.txt)
This document explicitly states
=====
   IMPORTANT: The feature defined by this specification is now
   deprecated in favor of support for the WebDAV Sync REPORT as defined
   by [RFC6578].  Clients MUST NOT rely on this feature to detect
   changes to collections, instead they MUST support the WebDAV Sync
   REPORT.  Servers MUST support the WebDAV Sync REPORT to allow clients
   to efficiently synchronize calendar collections.  Whilst most modern
   clients do support the WebDAV Sync REPORT, servers MAY continue to
   support this specification by simply using the DAV:sync-token
   property value for the getctag property value, in order to provide
   backwards compatibility with old clients.
=====
i.e. CTag is deprecated since almost 5 years in favor of DAV:sync-token.

We should probably still keep it as-is (and later add setSyncToken()/
syncToken() when we need it).

>  * Same comment about etag for DavItem than the ctag one for DavCollection

ETag is a well-known concept in HTTP 1.1 and it's usage for WebDAV is
specified in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-8.6. I would keep the
name because any other name would confuse people knowing (Web)DAV.

Regards,
Ingo