pop3 <-> davmail stopped working

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Thu Nov 21 10:57:58 GMT 2019

I'm using openSuse Tumbleweed kdepim-runtime 19.08.3
Since some recent upgrade the akonadi pop3 resource no longer works
when the server is a locally running davmail.

Note that I intentionally send this to the development list, since it's a question
regarding code changes (and I'm a developer so I could dig deeper).

I hope anyone here has a hint what could be the reason since
the very same pop3 resource still works with some other external pop server.
What I checked:
- I can talk to the local davmail POP server with telnet (user, pass, list -> shows some new mail numbers)
- checking the same with wireshark and doing a fetch mail from kmail shows
that the pop3 resource sends user and pass (both get an OK answer) but then pop3 resource
does not send a list command - however when using the debug flag
org.kde.pim.*=true
I see
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state FetchTargetCollection ==========
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state Precommand =====================
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state RequestPassword ================
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state Connect ========================
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state Login ==========================
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state List ===========================
kf5.kio.core: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = QUrl("pop3://martin.koller%40etm.at@[::1]:1080/index") data size = 0
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: IdsToSizeMap size 0
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state UIDList ========================
kf5.kio.core: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = QUrl("pop3://martin.koller%40etm.at@[::1]:1080/uidl") data size = 0
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: IdsToUidsMap size 0
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: UidsToIdsMap size 0
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: ================ Starting state Download =======================
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: We are going to download 0 messages

so it seems the resource thinks it sent the list command and got 0 messsages as reply, but
in reality it did not send the list command.

I see that the git repo does not contain any recent change in the pop3resource so I assume
this must be somewhere else.

Any idea which other component was changed recently which could lead to this issue
or has anybody else seen such an issue ?

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin

/\                        - against proprietary attachments