D25399: korgac: honour notification inhibition by delaying reminders

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 19 12:49:50 GMT 2019

dfaure added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> broulik wrote in alarmdialog.cpp:792
> This blocks.
>
> What happens when the "inhibited" property doesn't exist? Will it return a default-constructed (`false`)?

Something's really weird. If I kill plasmashell, then this blocks for 25 seconds (and then returns `false` indeed).

That timeout is reproducible on the command-line, `qdbus org.freedesktop.Notifications` blocks for 25s when plasma isn't running. I found why:

/usr/share/dbus/services/org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service says

  [D-BUS Service]
  Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications
  Exec=/usr/bin/plasma_waitforname org.freedesktop.Notifications

This looks like an awful hack to me. It only makes sense if plasma is currently starting, but otherwise, it will just block for 25s for no purpose.
DBus activation is meant to actually start the process which will register under that name, not just wait and hope...

I could work around it by making this code non-blocking, but it would still delay all notifications by 25 seconds, and probably output warnings about dbus timeouts. I would say this org.kde.plasma.Notifications.service file is an unrelated issue affecting all users of org.freedesktop.Notifications.

REPOSITORY
  R210 KOrganizer

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D25399