Signing Oracles with kmail

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat May 25 23:28:38 BST 2019

El dimarts, 14 de maig de 2019, a les 0:28:05 CEST, Sandro Knauß va escriure:
> Hey,
>
> > Should we release our own advisory? Or at this point that this is all public
> > just let it be?
>
> I don't know, when an own advisory is used in past.

We've released advisories when someone notified privately us of issues and we fixed them
   https://kde.org/info/security/
My main issue here is that the bug has been public so it's not like saying "here we have a bug" is something new since the bug is already in the open "and relatively famous"

> At least Debian already
> pinged me  (as mantainer, that upstream(KDE) fixed the issue.
>
> So distribution get the information, that we fixed the issue. But I think the
> information on 404698 is not good enough to understand what needs to be done
> to fix the CVE.
>
> That is what I would write:
>
> To fix the bug properly you should to backport the complete CVE-2019-10732
> branch.
>
> git diff a49182427bbf28142a8b2c9df73a905950b011d6..CVE-2019-10732
>
> Don't get shocked about the amount of changes, most of the stuff is "just"
> autotest. A minimal fix would just update templateparser/src/ and
> mimetreeparser/src/. But I would recommend also update the autotests.
> Especially when backporting you may end up updating the patches minimally and
> autotests should help you make sure that you backport it properly.

> > > But the paper [1] not
> > > only showed how to be a Decryption Oracles also showed a way to be a
> > > Signing Oracles by using html stuff. See appendix B. Does anyone looked
> > > at the blinding/conditional options and if we can improve the situation?
> >
> > I don't understand appendix B. Is it only a list of CSS stuff KMail
> > supports?
>
> yes this is only a list of CSS features, but these features are shown, that
> attacks can trick the display of an mail (6, page 9). Also kmail may just not
> marked as vulnerable, as they only tested the default settings, where HTML
> support is disabled. kmail could/should considering to improve the
> countermeasures (8.2, page 14):
>
> "Conditional CSS makes it easy for an attacker to hide certain text within a
> signed message while showing different text."
>
> -> do we sanitizing those stuff? are there tests for it?
> As I don't know currently how we select the CSS features, that are
> whitelisted/blacklisted. I can't say if it is feasible to control this. Or if
> we should use the hammer solution and disable HTML replies:

I don't think it makes sense for us to become a HTML/CSS parser to be able to disable features on replies of HTML email. It'll be a game of wack-a-mole, you basically need a full fledged web engine parser to do that.

> "They must not sign any quoted HTML/CSS input from the original message [while
> creating a reply], so that they cannot be misused as signing oracles."

That's an option, not doing HTML replies on emails that are signed? or at least warning the user? After all i think the "uses signing", the "uses HTML emails" and the "uses KMail" groups don't really intersect much.

> What are your thoughts about this?

I think we need Laurent to chime on this, but AFAIU we use QtWebEngine and it doesn't really give us much control about things.

Cheers,
  Albert