KDE PIM Privacy Policy

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Mar 7 11:51:23 GMT 2019

Hi all,

Google has effectively blocked new user logins for the API keys that we use to
authenticate again their services. This can be worked around on SMTP/IMAP by
using regular authentication methods, but cannot be worked around for services
that use the REST API like Google Calendar. Right now all new users just see
"App is blocked" instead of login page [0] (see BKO#404990)

In order to get the keys unblocked we need to have the application* "verified"
by Google which among other things requires us providing a link to a privacy
policy. Since the official KDE Privacy Policy is still being worked on, I've
thrown together a super-simple privacy policy:

	https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Privacy_Policy

It's short, but then again, we are not doing anything shady, so just saying
"we good" should be enough for now.

First, I'm hereby letting you know we now actually have a privacy policy :-)
Second, feel free to (and please do) improve it. I've taken inspiration from
privacy policies of other projects around the internet, but I'm not overly
creative in this regard and my lawyer-speak sucks.

Cheers,
Dan

* not "application" as in our software, but application as in the account in
Google Cloud that the API keys are part of

[0] https://bugsfiles.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=118581
--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683