D21597: Change title of action to launch PIM Settings Exporter

Laurent Montel noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jun 5 19:07:32 BST 2019

mlaurent added a comment.

  In D21597#474571 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21597#474571>, @dfaure wrote:

  > Yeah, well, right now it's a big mess, with 90% of the GUI talking about settings, and 10% talking about data.
  >
  > A very common use case for this is to export only settings. Emails are stored on IMAP, so they can be fetched again at destination.
  >  Of course pop3 users (assuming they still exist?)

  Me for example :) I don't have sieve support in my perso email account :(
  (a day I will create a lib for pop3 as for the moment it still uses kioslave)

  > also need to transfer the emails, that's like a bonus feature in a settings exporter :-)
  >  As an IMAP user, it's scary to click on export data when I just want to export settings.
  >  For a POP3 user, if all you can find is a menu-item about exporting settings, you'll try that and you'll be glad to then realize it also exports the emails ;-)
  >
  > Brainstorming other solutions:
  >
  > - Import/Export KMail Settings/Emails... urgh, hard to read.

  Indeed not good.

  > - Two menuitems, which launch pimsettingsexporter with slightly different defaults?

  People will not understand why there is two different menu entry...

  > - s/Settings/Data/ *everywhere* in the pimsettingsexporter application (and possibly renaming it to pim-data-transfer or something...)

  I think that it's the better solution no ?

REPOSITORY
  R206 KMail

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D21597