Test execution for all of PIM

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Feb 9 20:07:37 GMT 2019

On mardi 5 février 2019 19:14:28 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 2:49 AM Daniel Vrátil <me at dvratil.cz> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just had an idea about this. How about I make the knut resource commit
> > > suicide, 30 minutes after starting? We never need it for that long
> > > anyway.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you can go lower than 30 minutes (even 10 minutes is
> > generous). Ideally make be configurable through an env variable.
> >
> > The question is how to make sure the test is failed when the resource gets
> > stuck.
>
> In all the cases i've seen, the test executable itself has already
> exited which means the test pass/fail criterion has already been
> determined so it won't be possible to make it a hard failure i'm
> afraid.
>
> One thing I have observed though is that sometimes it isn't just the
> knut_resource which is sticking around - in some cases it's the whole
> akonadi_control / akonadiserver / knut_resource / mysqld combo.
> Thoughts?
>
> > > If I implement that, do you agree to re-enabling CI for kdepim?
> > > It smells a bit like a workaround, but better than no CI.
>
> Having it exit after a reasonable timeout period would solve the problem
> yes.

I'm currently looking at this from a slightly different angle.

Very often when I run akonadi tests locally (like mysql-tagsynctest, but not only), I get a warning
"Resource synchronization timed out for akonadi_knut_resource_0"
(after 30s of inactivity, during akonaditest setup), the test fails, and
mysqld keeps running (not the resource though).

Until now I've drilled down to a CollectionCreateJob (from CollectionSync) that starts but never gets a response from akonadiserver, not sure why yet.

Looking at past test failures for akonadi I see that this also happened on CI:
https://build.kde.org/job/Applications/job/akonadi/job/kf5-qt5%20SUSEQt5.10/32/testReport/junit/projectroot.autotests/libs/akonadi_mysql_transactiontest/

So let's see if things are better once I fix this bug.
Dan, any hints would be greatly appreciated :-)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5