Blacklisting of PIM from the CI system

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Dec 1 10:52:30 GMT 2019

On Samstag, 30. November 2019 22:48:49 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:58 AM Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > [Intentionally top posting; CCing the CWG, but excluding kde-core-devel
> > and
> > kde-devel.]
> >
> > Hi Ben,
>
> Hi Ingo,
>
> > I can understand that you are extremely annoyed by the nths disturbance of
> > the CI system by some PIM projects, but quite frankly I find your
> > reaction questionable. You seem to imply that the KDE PIM developers are
> > sabotaging the
> My reaction is based on several years of observed behaviour.

I know.

> A substantial proportion of the issues which are encountered with the
> CI system tend to be due to PIM.

I'm aware of the problems some PIM projects are causing on the CI system again
and again.

> This includes jobs getting stuck due to tests not behaving properly,
> jobs having to be retried because new code was added to libraries and
> immediately put into use without delay (which because the CI system
> cannot sequence builds based on dependencies guarantees failure),

Okay. So there is a technical shortcoming of the CI system that makes the
problems worse.

> and
> total failures to build in general which tend to require followup for
> them to be fixed (because the emails from the CI system are ignored)

Yes. That's apparently a social problem. It could be caused by the developers
actively ignoring those emails. Or the emails are simply overlooked or
postponed because the developers get too many emails and have too much on
their plate.

> > CI system on purpose. Maybe they are careless and need to be disciplined,
> > but I'm not sure that publicly (by that I mean on mailing lists other
> > than kde- pim; of course, kde-pim is also public) accusing them of
> > intentional bad behavior ("over 2 days ago, there is no excuse for this
> > series of build failures") was called for. In my opinion, your
> > blacklisting of PIM and
> Given that projects are supposed to communicate via their mailing
> lists, and the CI system informs said mailing list that the build
> failed, with no evidence of attempts being made to fix the build, how
> else would you interpret this?

See above. I believe that the PIM developers are not ignoring those emails
deliberately.

> > threatening of continued exclusion from CI is bordering at abuse of power.
> > You are acting as judge, jury, and executioner in one person which I find
> > disturbing.
>
> There is no abuse of power here.
> This is the simple act of me declaring this continued state of affairs
> as unsustainable and unmaintainable and proposing two possible ways
> out of it.

I think this is a symptom of a much larger social problem, namely that for our
CI system there are no clearly defined rules of behavior and no clearly
defined sanctions in case people do not follow those rules. This is a common,
recurring  theme in commons. I will propose a fix for this in a separate
email.

Due to the lack of such rules and sanctions, you, as the person feeling
responsible for the CI system, come up with ad-hoc rules and sanctions on your
own. You are acting in good faith. The problem is that you are left alone by
the KDE community in this.

> I'll note that you've not proposed any action plan here to ensure the
> problem does not occur again once it is fixed.

I'm not actively involved in the PIM development community. Therefore, I'm not
in a position to propose an action plan how to fix the issue with PIM. As
mentioned above, I will propose an action plan how to fix the underlying
"tragedy of the commons"-style social problem.

Regards,
Ingo