T10812: KDE Applications

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Apr 19 01:39:12 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In T10812#182253 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182253>, @ltoscano wrote:

  > In T10812#182252 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182252>, @cfeck wrote:
  >
  > > Yes, we have been trying hard, but did we succeed? Would someone just stop using Okular, because it is shipped with the Plasma bundle instead of the KDE Applications bundle?
  >

  > I fear it will happen, yes.

  In fact we don't have to fear or guess: we can just look at GNOME. They distribute their apps alongside GNOME itself. They share a release schedule and version numbering schema, and many of them even have "GNOME" in their name (e.g. "GNOME Chess", "GNOME Photos", etc). Despite this, I see no indication that people confusedly think you can't use GNOME's apps without the GNOME DE itself. People seem to happily use GNOME apps on whatever DE they want. Logically I think this makes sense because if you open up an app store app like Discover or GNOME Software, you generally see no indication of which parent DE an app is released alongside. If I crack open Discover and check out Simple Scan or GNOME Disks, nothing there tells me that I need all of GNOME to run it. So I don't think this is actually a problem.

  In T10812#182253 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182253>, @ltoscano wrote:

  > In T10812#182252 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182252>, @cfeck wrote:>>
  >
  > > Also, does "Discover" or "Bluedevil" really only work under Plasma?
  >

  > That's what the Plasma team decided, and they can decide otherwise. They decided (with reasons) that those components are tightly integrated with the rest of Plasma. This can change, of course; other components were moved out of Plasma over time.

  To clear up a misconception, Discover doesn't depend on Plasma <https://cgit.kde.org/discover.git/tree/CMakeLists.txt>. In fact I believe it's being used in Lubuntu right now.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812