New framework: KCalCore

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 15 14:05:13 BST 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:52 PM David Jarvie <djarvie at kde.org> wrote:

> On 15 April 2019 13:25:56 BST, Allen Winter <allen.winter at kdab.com> wrote:

> > to KF5.

> > based on

> > circle of

> > that word

> > calendar

> > generic

> > > Wasn't KCal the original name of the library from pre-Akonadi times?
> > KCalCore
> > > was a fork of KCal with the pre-Akonadi "Resources" system
> > removed...
> > >
> > Yep.  Back to the Future.  Let's stay away from "KCal" and "KCalendar"
> >
> > commit 6b4c1896211075fcd0b88b2c617eaacd831c9f6d
> > Author: Allen Winter <winter at kde.org>
> > Date:   Sat Jul 17 17:00:14 2010 +0000
> >
> >     Add the new KCalCore library.
> >
> >  The KCalCore library deprecates and mostly replaces the KCal library.
> >     KCalCore is free of any relation to the old Calendar resources and
> > focuses entirely on iCalendar and vCalendar storage and data
> > manipulation.
> >  KCalCore used QSharedPointers for safe memory access, is free of i18n
> >  strings and contains no methods for user interaction: KCalCore is all
> >     about the calendar data.
>
> Would KCalendarSerialization be a better name? I think that sums up its purpose.
>
> --
> David Jarvie
> KAlarm author, KDE developer
> http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm

KContacts is the framework dealing with vcards (which are equivalent
to iCal, for contacts). It makes sense to follow the same naming.

If we really don't want calendaring functions there, we could consider
calling it KiCal, I don't think it's that bad either and it's
definitely more self-explanatory. Or we call it KCalendar and allow
having calendar building blocks in it which could make sense as well,
if required.

Aleix